It is said that bride and grooms had to show proof of their wedding consummation, in order to prove that the ‘act’ had taken place, it was common place to have family or friends in the room with the couple to witness the ‘act’!
The witnesses would obtain the garter as proof of the consummation. Having any article of the under garments was considered to be good luck As you can imagine the bride and grooms did not always appreciate the audience, so the groom started tossing the garter out so that no one would need to obtain it themselves.
Fortunately this tradition has been modified and moved from the bedroom to the reception or not at all in some weddings.
- fakesmiles-fakelaughs reblogged this from bdarlingweddings
- vaninjohn reblogged this from bdarlingweddings and added:
- gotmerunninwild likes this
- ohhhroe likes this
- magnoliaceous likes this
- nights-wasted reblogged this from sleepwellmydearfriend
- sleepwellmydearfriend reblogged this from bdarlingweddings
- bdarlingweddings posted this